Audley Places in Wiltshire

 

 In Wiltshire there are the following places associated with the Audley surname;
               Audley Chapel, Salisbury Cathedral
               Audley House, Salisbury
Audley Chapel, Salisbury Cathedral
Edmund Audley became Bishop of Salisbury in 1502. He built Audley Chapel within Salisbury Cathedral and lived in Audley House (see below)
 Inside the Audley Chapel Ceiling of the Audley Chapel
The Ceiling Bosses in Audley Chapel, Salisbury Cathedral
 Coat of Arms on Alter Cloth
Audley Chapel was built (perpendicular style and of Bath Limestone, possibly Haslebury) by Bishop Audley (1502-24) as his chantry and was built in honour of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Refurnished as memorial to Bishop Lovett 1936-46. Frieze with shields bearing Audley’s arms and those of diocese. Niches formerly contained effigies removed during Reformation. Inside two bosses displaying his arms, eastern one surrounded by roses and pomegragnates symbolising Henry V111 marriage to Catherine of Aragon. Her symbol was ordered to be excised everywhere after their divorce, but this one couldn’t be – or was overlooked. On east wall mutilated carving of Assumption (chapel was damaged during Reformation) is now covered by painting of Virgin and Child. Altar frontal shows Audley’s initials (EA) and design of Tudor roses and pomegranates with arms of diocese. Altar cushion bears intitials of Edmund of Sarum. Kneeler has dragon based on carving on cornice outside. These are all the work of the Sarum Group of Embroiderers and were done in 1980. Bishop Audley’s tomb is on the south side of the chantry, set into the wall.
‘Externally the chapel is richly decorated with Audley’s initials and his heraldry, together with HIS and Maria monograms. The chapel was brightly coloured externally and internally, making it a conspicuous target for Reformation iconoclasts’. (from Sumptuous and Richly Adorned by Sarah Brown)
 Audley House, Salisbury